Sunday, March 27, 2011

Swedish Meatballs

I would love to tell you that I have this fabulous recipe for meatballs that I love and use all the time.... except I don't. The truth is, I have never in my life made meatballs. Mostly because I don't care for homestyle meatballs, and since that's what most people make, I thought that the only way to get the flavor I liked in a meatball, was to purchase them pre-made at the store. I have since learned otherwise, but have yet to try my hand at making the perfect meatball.
Anyway. So tonight, as usual, I was strapped for time. More than usual, actually, since I worked late, leaving me about 20 minutes to make dinner for my dad before he had to return to work. I decided to make swedish meatballs. They taste good, and I knew we had some meatballs kicking around in the freezer. I also was pretty sure we had everything we might need to make said meatballs, so I headed home to begin.
I started by looking up a recipe for swedish meatballs. Most everywhere reccomended that I make my own meatballs, but I disregarded that part and skipped to the sauce. One particular recipe I found called for a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup, a can of Cream of Chicken Soup, and a can of Evaporated Milk. I knew we had all these things, so I began.

Now began the adventurous part of the meal. After I put the water on to boil for the noodles, and set the meatballs to defrost, I checked the can of Evaporated Milk. I knew it had been in our pantry for awhile, and I wasn't certain as to it's reliability. The "best by" date was stamped on the bottom, and revealed the can to be... 2 years expired. Hmmm. How bad could it really be? It's canned, right? Can't be that bad! Just to be certain, I googled information about evaporated milk gone bad, and found several succesful stories of past due evaporated milk being used, and enjoyed, and no one dying afterward, which is after all the most important part.
So I mixed the soups and the milk, and then added the defrosted meatballs.

I let them simmer for awhile while I cooked the noodles. I picked shell pasta because it was what we had in the pantry. :P

Once the noodles were done, I poured the meatballs and broth over them and served it.

It was very good. :D

No comments: