Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chicken and Bacon Sandwiches

My absolute favorite meal in the world is Chicken and Bacon. It's a special recipe my mother makes. I'll probably make it and post it some day, but for now, I decided to put a spin on it. The original recipe takes 3 hours just to bake. When I started making dinner, I wasn't sure exactly what I was making, but I had chicken, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup. I love all three of those things, so I was sure I'd be able to come up with something.
While digging in the freezer for inspiration, I discovered a pound of bacon. That's when I decided to alter the original recipe and see how it worked.
I started by cooking the bacon. I always prefer to cook my bacon in the oven.


Next, I mixed a can of Cream of Mushroom soup, and about a cup of sour cream. I wasn't really sure how much sour cream to put in, so I kinda guessed. It worked out pretty well.


When the bacon was done, I chopped up about half of it. The other half I put in the fridge, and my family enjoyed it the next day for breakfast.


I took about 3 pieces of chicken breasts and that I had cooked earlier, shredded them, and spread them in the bottom of a greased pan. This pan is a bit smaller than a 9x13, but a couple more pieces of chicken, and a regular 9x13 pan would have worked well.


Then I mixed the bacon bits with the sour cream and soup mixture, and poured it over the chicken, mixing it together.


I stuck it in the oven for a few minutes. Since all the ingredients were pre-cooked, I mostly just cooked it on a low setting until it was warm. Then I found some rolls, cut them open, and served the chicken mixture with the rolls. Then I ended up putting the chicken on the roll and eating it as a sandwich.


It was very delicious. Tasted almost like the regular Chicken and Bacon meal. Definitely something I'd make again. :D

No comments: