Friday, March 25, 2011

Mexican Beef Casserole

The other day, while browsing the grocery store for some good ideas, I came upon a can of Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup. It was with all those cream soups that Campbells makes, and it looked like it had the makings of a good meal in it, so I got it and placed it on the shelf at home, waiting for inspiration to strike. The other night, it did.
I needed something quickly, since I have about a 1 hour window in which to make and serve dinner, so I grabbed a pound of frozen beef from the freezer and browned it.



Once it was done, I added the can of Fiesta Nacho Cheese Soup (With a name that exciting, it had to be good, right?) and mixed it in. Meanwhile, I boiled up some water for noodles.
The beef was looking a bit dry, and a bit blah, so I threw in a can of Cheddar Cheese soup, a can of Tomatoes with Green Chiles, and a handful of chopped chives. Notice the handwritten warnings all over my soup cans. This is because I have brothers who like to steal my cheddar cheese soup for their own evil purposes. >_<


It looked much better, and much more festive after that. By this time, the water was boiling, and I cooked some egg noodles while keeping the meat mixture warm. When the noodles were done, I deliberated over whether I should mix them in, or serve the meat over them, and finally decided to just mix them in. The result appeased my love of all things colorful. :D

Being a mexican meal, I served it with tortilla chips.


It wasn't bad. And this from a girl who can't stand things that are too spicy. And this was spicy. Really spicy. Even my dad said so, and he likes spicy food. I didn't mind too much, though, since I mixed in a ton of sour cream to cut the spice. I love sour cream anyway. :D
I'm not sure I'd make it again, or if I did, I might use different noodles, and perhaps forgo the Fiesta Nacho Cheese as well, just to cut down on the spiciness. I'll have to figure out something else to use that soup in.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Did you write "Not for general consumption" on that can? :p

carebear87 said...

Yes, yes I did. ^_^