Thursday, March 24, 2011

Chicken and Cheese Crescents

Before I begin this blog, let me just point out the new stoneware pan I just got. It was in a pile of free stuff on a table at our church. I'm rather excited about it. It has apples. I love appley kitchen stuff. *is ridiculously pleased with new pan*


Anyway.... so the other day I was trying to come up with a quick easy recipe for dinner. We didn't have much in the house, and I didn't have much time. I opened the fridge to see what I could come up with. We had some chicken I had boiled the other day in preparation for.... whenever I might need it. There were also some crescent rolls, ready to be made. I had no idea what I could make with these things, but I went to my favorite recipe site, www.allrecipes.com, and plugged in these two ingredients. The first thing that came up was something called Chicken and Cheese Crescents.

Preheat Oven to 350˚ F

1 (4 pound) whole chicken, cooked and deboned
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
2 1/2 C. milk
1 C. shredded cheddar cheese
2 cans refrigerated crescent roll dough

It looked good, and easy, so I decided to give it a try. I made it, and promptly realized I had forgotten to take any pictures. No problem. It was a liked recipe, so I just made it again a different time. :D

I started by shredding the cheese, and putting the milk, half the cheese, and the cream soups into a pot on the stove and cooking them until the cheese was melted, and all the ingredients were combined.


Next, I opened up the crescent rolls. Now, the recipe calls for a whole chicken. I had not a whole chicken. Either the first time, or this time. The first time, I had some pre-cooked chicken breasts that I shredded up. This time, I resorted to canned chicken. It was easy, and it tastes fine. I took each crescent roll triangle and piled some chicken and a pinch of the leftover cheese on the wide end and rolling it all up inside. I tend to pile the chicken and cheese rather high.


When I had rolled them all up, I put them in my beautiful new stoneware pan, which I had previously greased. You may notice there are not 16 here, which is the proper count from two cans of crescent rolls. You are correct. The other four had been cooked the evening before to accompany my dinner. ^_^


The next step was to take half of the gravy mixture stuff I had just finished cooking and pour it around the crescent rolls. Not on them, just around them.


Into the oven they go! I baked them for about 15 minutes, then pulled them back out. They're starting to puff up nicely.


The rest of the broth was then poured on top and layered with the any remaining chicken or cheese.


I put them back into the oven. The recipe says to cook them until the cheese is melted and the rolls are brown. However, as you can see here, the rolls were no longer visible, and were not likely to be getting very brown anytime soon. So I guesstimated at 10 minutes. I was wrong. It took closer to 15. I might even recommend 20. The rolls will be a bit soggy, obviously, but they won't  be undercooked.


Looks delicious!


I must say, this is one of my favorite recipes. Relatively quick, fun to make, very easy, and quite good. Throw a salad on the side, as you see here in my serving suggestion, and voila! Dinner. :)

2 comments:

Sara said...

this is...this is my recipe... :blinks: guess it's not a secret after all :p

carebear87 said...

Ooh... if I'd known it was yours, I would have given you credit. :P