Saturday, March 12, 2011

Crockpot: Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli

I've been rather relaxed about blogging here, of late, but the time has come to once again begin posting recipes. I have actually made quite a few things recently, and hope to upload them soon.
The first recipe is, once again, a crockpot recipe. In case you haven't noticed, I really like crock pot recipes. This particular one I pulled off of the internet. I was looking for a good recipe to make with the ingredients I had on hand. Namely, frozen chicken, several cream soups, and broccoli.
I love broccoli, but I had recently purchased a lot, and was afraid I wouldn't get around to eating it before it went bad, so i decided to use it up. A good looking recipe popped up almost immediately, and I proceeded to put it together.

I started with the cream soups. The recipe called for Cream of Broccoli (although the recipe said any basic cream soup, such as Cream of Chicken, or Cream of Celery, could be substituted. This was good, since I hadn't any cream of broccoli. I substituted the Cream of Celery and moved on. The other thing it called for was a can of Cream of Cheddar Cheese.
Now, this is a particular kind of soup that, as far as I know, is only made my Campbells. It's very good, and I knew I had bought a can recently, so I began to search through the cabinets to find it. No such luck. I searched more and still could not find it. Time was ticking, and I knew I'd have to leave for work soon, so I quickly googled a solution to my problem. (I later discovered that my brother had used the soup to make himself some cheese fondue sauce)

Luckily, Cream of Cheddar Cheese soup seems to not only be just a Campbells thing, but also only a North American thing. Several substitutions were suggested, including a mixture of evaporated milk and shredded cheddar cheese, cooked on the stove until the cheese melted. I tried this and the result was delicious. :D

















So I took this cheese mixture, plus the celery soup, and poured it on top of several frozen chicken breasts, and then set it to cook for about 6 hours on low.

















When it was about 2 hours away from being done, the broccoli got added.

















Rice was made a few hours later. I love rice. ^_^

















It looks pretty good!

















Now, I have to say, this was not my favorite recipe. However, it's not because it's a bad recipe. It's mostly because I'm not a huge fan of cooked broccoli. It was hailed as a success by my taste-testers, though, so I imagine if you like broccoli, you'd probably like this very much. :D

No comments: