Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sour Cream Noodle Bake

I saw this recipe posted on FB a few weeks ago from a friend of mine, and it looked really good and relatively easy, so I decided to make it.

1 1/4 Pound Ground Beef
1 Can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce
1/2 tsp. Salt
Dash Pepper
8 oz Egg Noodles
1/2 C. Sour Cream
1 1/4 C. Small Curd Cottage Cheese
1/2 C. Chopped Green Onion
1 C. Grated Cheddar Cheese

I started by putting a pot of water on to boil. While I waited for that to boil, I browned the beef. I used 2 pounds instead of the called for 1 1/4 pound, since I was making a bit more for our big family.

Then, I added the tomato sauce. Again, I upped the amount a bit. I used a 15 oz can and a 10 oz can. I threw in the pepper and salt and mixed it together.

While that simmered, I cooked the egg noodles. I cooked the whole 12 oz bag that I had, to go with the other inflated ingredients.

Once those were cooked, I mixed together the cream cheese, cottage cheese, and onion, again upping the ingredients by about half. I also neglected to notice the kind of cottage cheese I had bought. I had gotten large curd instead of small curd, but it made little difference. :P I threw in another dash of pepper, too.

Then, I mixed the noodles in. The noodles alone were very good. :D

Then, setting that aside, I shredded the cheese, a step of which I did not take a picture.
Then I began to layer it. Some versions of this recipe call for you to mix all the ingredients together, casserole style, but I liked the layer idea better. I spread about half the noodles into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Even if you're making the original portioned recipe, I'd recommend using this size pan, since the food I made nearly overflowed. :P
Pour and spread half of the meat mixture on top, and then sprinkle with half the cheese. When in doubt, always use more cheese than less.
Then, repeat. The other half of the noodles, the other half of the meat, and topping it all off with the other half of the cheese, making sure it's liberally covered.

Once that's done, bake it for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is all melty and bubbly and yummy looking.

Serve it up, lasagna style!
I thought it was delicious. One of my brothers did not approve of it, so I'll probably not make it very often, but the rest of my family loved it. :)

2 comments:

Dave Orth said...

It was really, really yummy!

Sara said...

Oh, I made this too, the other week ^.^ It was on The Happy Housewife, I think. I mixed it all together instead of layering it. I loved it, but Chad hated it. He hates everything though :p