Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fettuccine Alfredo

Once again dinner had fallen on me. Not literally. That would have been rather messy. Rather, the responsibility to make dinner had fallen on me. And so I began looking up quick recipes. I had not planned for the crock pot, and I knew I'd have about half an hour that evening, so I began looking around for recipes.
I pulled up my amazingly-cool-new-app on my phone. It's the app put out by my favorite recipe website, allrecipes.com. They call it the Dinner Spinner. You pick a meal (dessert, breakfast, main course, side dish, etc...) pick an ingredient (poultry, beef, cheese, pasta, veggies, etc...) and pick a prep time (Less than half an hour, 40 minutes of more, Slow cooker, etc...) and then hit the ok button, and it pulls up all the meals in those categories. It's awesome. :D

Well, we had chicken, and I had 30 minutes, and it was a main course, so I selected those options. Fettucini Alfredo was the one thing that popped up that contained (almost) all ingredients I knew we had on hand. We only needed the cream cheese, so I called ahead and had my brother run to the store and pick it up, since I knew I wouldn't have time to go shopping before I had to make the meal.

8 oz Dry Pasta
1 (8 oz) package Cream Cheese
3/4 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 C. Butter or Margarine
1/2 C. Milk
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Dried Basil
1 Pinch Ground Nutmeg

Anyway. So I got home and began the meal prep. First, I put a pot of water on the stove to boil, then I took the thawed chicken and began cutting it up.

Then I melted a bit of butter in a pan and began grilling the chicken.

Meanwhile, I was melting the butter in a sauce panon the back of the stove. Notice I had three burners running, and all were requiring my attention, since the water had boiled and I had added the noodles. So I was stirring the noodles so they wouldn't stick, flipping the chicken so it wouldn't burn, and stirring the butter so it wouldn't scorch.
Then I added the cream cheese, parmesan cheese, milk, and spices to the melted butter. I wanted to make a bit more than the recipe said, but only had the one package of cream cheese, so I added a bit of sour cream in as well, just to mix things up. It turned out pretty well.


I stirred the whole mixture around on low heat until the cream cheese was melted and mixed in smoothly.

Then I added it to the cooked pasta. I must confess that, even though the recipe called for fettucini pasta (and it is Fettucini Alfredo, after all) I used Rotini pasta, instead. :P


Then I took the cooked chicken, and chopped it into bite-size chunks.

I mixed it into the pasta and served it up!

It was very rich, and very creamy, and very full of calories, but it was also very tasty. :D

No comments: