Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Biscuits

I have often made biscuits before, and have what I consider to be a pretty good recipe. I'll warn you in advance that it is by no means the best recipe... I'm still on the lookout for another one that's better, but this one is pretty good.
I wanted strawberry shortcake... I'd recently purchased strawberries on sale, and had some cream to make whipped cream, so I decided to mix up a batch of biscuits to go along.

4 C. Flour
8 tsp. Baking Powder
4 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Cr. of Tartar
1 tsp. Salt
1 C. Shortening
1 1/3 C. Milk

I started by mixing up the dry ingredients. I had run out of white flour so I used wheat flour as a substitute. Looking back, it was not the best decision. The biscuits are simply not as good when made with wheat, instead of white, but that could be just what I'm used to.


After that was all mixed up, I added the shortening, and cut it together. The regular kitchen tool for this task was missing, and I used a potato masher instead. It worked wonderfully.


Next, I poured in the milk. Notice the one and only picture in this entire blog that features me. Or my hand, anyway. :P


Then, I mixed it all together gently...


...and rolled it out on the floured table.


Using a cup, I cut out circles and placed them on a greased cookie sheet. Now, a little secret I learned awhile ago about biscuits, is that if you roll them extra thin, cut them into circles, and stack two circles on top of each other before baking (making sure to press the edges together pretty well) it makes them much easier to split later, after they've been baked. This, I did.


Then I baked them for about 10 minutes at 450˚.


Once they were done, I split them, and piled on the strawberries and cream. :D

Strawberry shortcake is seriously my favorite dessert, ever. ^_^

No comments: