Saturday, September 18, 2010

Apple Muffins

I was going to enter these apple muffins into the baking contest at our local harvest festival, but got some information messed up and missed out. Oh well... more for my family. :)

I started with a basic muffin recipe.
1 3/4 cups of flour,
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil (I use olive oil)
1/4 tsp salt

Then, I added about 1/4 cup of applesauce, a chopped up medium apple, and a couple dashes of cinnamon.
Of course, I forgot to take pictures until the end.... I have a bad habit of doing that. :P
I baked them at 400 degrees. The recipe said 20 minutes, but I pulled them out after about 17, and they were nice and golden brown.

Next, I mixed up the apple filling. I chopped up two medium apples and mixed them with about a cup or so of applesauce, and a couple teaspoons of cinnamon and sugar. Then I scooped out the center of each muffin, and spooned the apple filling in.

















I filled all the muffins up, and replaced the tops, ready for icing!

















I thought maple would be pretty good on top, so I mixed some powdered sugar with a splash of heavy cream, and added maple syrup and granulate maple sugar. I can not tell you the portions, as it was pure guess work. Mostly, I just kept adding ingredients until it had the right consistency and taste. :P















I poured the icing into a plastic bag and piped it onto the muffins. Then we sprinkled the top with a pinch of granulated maple sugar.

















Aside from a couple lumps of baking powder; that made certain bites taste rather nasty; they came out quite delicious. Next year, perhaps, I'll get that blue ribbon. ^_^

No comments: